Saturday 16 June 2007

No photo, just a plea.

I got so carried away by finished knitting and cockroaches on my last post that I completely forgot to ask for help. I'm going away for two weeks holiday at the very start of July and I would like to use that time to teach myself how to knit socks using more than two needles.

What I need is an idiot proof pattern ( either a freebie or a PDF I can download ) and suggestions for sock yarn. I will be visiting the hallowed halls of Twistfibre Crafts, one of the few good yarn shops within thirty miles of me, next Thursday and can stock up then. Photos of any progress will of course follow.

Where is the holiday? I'm going to http://www.saint-nom-la-breteche.org/ or Saint Nom la Breteche as they say without the website. It is a village nearish to Paris and I can't wait to be there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the sock pattern I learned on. There's 2 great things about it:

1 - You can use ANY yarn - there's no gauge.
2 - It's very detailed, and walks you through all the steps with photos.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a short-row heel, which doesn't fit as well, to me, as a flap heel. But still? It's a really good place to start. :)

Stasia's Gaugeless, Toe-Up , Short-Row Heel Sock Pattern

And from there, you'll be an addict. Hee.

Orinda5 said...

I just taught myself to knit this past Jan/Feb and started with socks.
I used some videos from here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
and a generic sock pattern from here: http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/genericsocks.txt
No photos, but it really helped me understand sock contstruction (top down with heel flap) no matter the size or yarn.

I've yet to try toe-ups. I just bookmarked Casey's link! :)

Anonymous said...

I just taught myself to knit socks this year too, and I did it from the free sock recipe from the ball of colinette jitterbug that I treated myself to off ebay. It is so easy, and pleasing that I am on my 3rd pair and embelishing away with what could turn out to be far too much confidence. We shall see. This also has a short row heel, and I have played around with it to make it work for me. I am also using any sort of sock yarn I can get my hands on, and basically using different needle sizes to make the tension work. I promise, if you can knit a cardi, you can knit socks.

a friend to knit with said...

Oh my goodness....I am envious of your vacation! Sounds fabulous!

Hope Casey helped you....I have no clue!