Monday 19 May 2008

Whisky Galore




We were toasting my mum's health this week as we sat in a lovely Speyside garden overlooking the Balvenie Distillery. Yet again she had managed to win us a fantastic prize - three nights in a lovely house filled with food and whisky and a tour of the distillery. Good company too as there was enough room for friends Sylvia and Rangercraig to come along as well as lovely Molly dog.

The Distillery tour was truly educational - not only the chance to see traditional crafts at work rather than in a museum , but also the whisky tasting that followed. I found out that I have expensive tastes after a sample of a 30 year old Single Malt ( only about £300 a bottle. ) If you think that whisky is all rough texture, peat and seaweed, have a go at the Speyside Malts. The Balvenie whiskies taste of vanilla and fruit with a little touch of coconut smelling gorse.

To top it all, there had been a slight change in our accomodation and by way of apology the distillery gave Archie a bottle of a limited edition Balvenie Rose. It is gorgeous, as long as you don't mix it with milk as Archie did having mistaken the milk jug for the water jug. Mind you that was after many hours of whisky tasting......

I've just realised that this is my 99th post. Any suggestions for a 100th post competition?

5 comments:

Orinda5 said...

Your mother's good fortune with contests is astounding.

Sounds like a fabulous time!

nicantsoair said...

Could the 100th post competition involve a tasting of Balvenie Rose in some way?heehee

nicantsoair said...

Hey J, just discovered tonight that I too am on my 99th posting only spread over 3 blogs, so it doesn't quite count and I don't have the whisky to offer as a competition reward.....

Cindy G said...

Does your Mom have the second sight? She is amazing.

I think I would have expensive taste, too. Love single malt. The only problem is that I usually fall asleep after one.

Don't know about contest ideas, but for a 100th post I'd love to see a Magnus retrospective.

mary jane said...

That mom of yours is amazing!