Monday 6 April 2009

In praise of clever friends and new cookers.




There are many things I don't know about but luckily I have a selection of friends who can help me fill the gaps. Want to spin dog hair? Ask Julie. Not sure if a mushroom is edible? Check with Anne. Medieval history and recipe advice? Grahame every time. Sometimes it feels like I live in a small country surrounded by experts. It is a very nice feeling.

Take last night, a visit to Perth Concert Hall to hear music by Gorecki and Szymanowski. My knowledge of classical music is so limited it could be written in big letters on the back of a very small concert programme. Just as well then that our chum for the evening was Haworth, who had the knowledge to lead me through the performance and recommend further listening. Glorious music and a timely reminder to broaden my horizons some more.

On a more prosiac note, this week saw us take delivery of a new cooker. The old one had holes where there shouldn't be holes and an oven door that didn't shut. No souffles for us. The new one is a thing of wonder. There is a light inside the oven so that you can lie on the floor, accompanied by a puzzled cat and watch the sponges rise. Our first meal with the new cooker was cheese on toast, follwed by an orgy of baking. I made madeleines which were eaten outside in the sunshine with Marianne ( sewing and painting advice ). Most of us were on our best behaviour.

11 comments:

Julia said...

Looks like you are the expert baker! Mmmm...Magnus has got mischief on his mind - hope you got to the cakes before he did!

soxchik said...

Those madelaines wouldn't last a minute in my house. Delish!

Cindy G said...

Madelaines and wine in the sunshine - looks like a perfect morning.

Liz said...

I think Magnus wants a madelaines, but of course he has good taste.

Karin said...

You are delicious food outside! With good friends! Nothing better at times.

Emma says she could have helped Magnus check on things. IF she could be bothered to get up from her nap.

Beatriz said...

I love madelines. Magnus looks like he is inspecting and ready to approve the al fresco table setting. Lovely photo!

Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

The only thing better than a spring picnic is a spring picnic with a sun-warmed kitty. I wish mine could go outside, but alas, we have kitty-hunting coyotes and hawks.

Jacqui said...

naughty kitties make for a wonderful world! thank you for the lovely photo!!

if i hold my breath and smush my forehead, i can almost smell the madelaines from here. [sigh]

iaminchennai said...

Magnus is looking great... Enjoying the sun with some baked goodies... yumm....

Orinda5 said...

That symphony by Gorecki is one of my absolute faves - especially the first movement! I bet the evening was fabulous.

and those madeleines look scrumptious. mmm

inkberryblue said...

I love the way that you've written this.
...and the photo of Magnus made me smile. He is such a big boy!